Written by Administrator
Saturday, 17 January 2009 15:45
|One Day In Bangkok |
If you want to know and love someone, you may have to spend your whole lifetime to learn and know his or her hear deeply . But for Thailand, you just try to touch the atmosphere of Bangkok only one day you may fall in love with Thailand and this sleepless capital till you cannot draw back.
I used to ask myself why Bangkok be the heaven that people around the world yearning for touching it , probably because of the culture , food , the smile of people , but I never found the real answer just once. One thing I know exactly is the this cit y could respond to my desire within my heart .If I feel lonely , I know where to go. If I want to eat something delicious, I know the place to go . And if I want to release my craziness unlimitedly, Bangkok has the places for satisfying my feeling . This may be the charm of bangkok in my opinion. although there are images of traffic jam, dusty of pollution, but I can't imagine that if there is no those atmosphere, how can Bangkok be Bangkok?
In the midst of the world revolving chaotically, the time in bangkok seems to stand still. So it's not important whether you have only one day, one week or month to get to know Bangkok . If you have a short time, just one day , how can you tour Bangkok the most worthy? I have a key for opening the door to the heart of Bangkok to give you.
Let's start with how to travel. Please don't be shockingly alarmed when you see the congested traffic and disorder roads till sometimes having a map is just like having a place of paper. I introduce you to travel by bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS) and Mass Rapid Transit (MRT). The BTS Sky Train has two routes. Sukhumvit routes (On Nut Station- Mo Chit station ) and Silom route (Saphan Taksin Station - National Stadium station ). For the MRT subway , is route called Chaloem Ratchamongkhon line started from Hua Lamphong railway station and end at Bang Sue station, passed 18 stations. Traveling by there two ways will help you save time, especially when you have only one day to tour. If you choose to use bus service , you may get to know Bangkok bus more than Bangkok itself. Besides, there are taxis and tuk-tuk motor tricycles to serve tourists everywhere. Wherever you are, how early or lately, they are still in serveice . The taxi for general service tha automatic meter to show fare. Tje fare starts from 35 baht in the first 3 kilometer , average price is around 5 bath/kilometer but it depends on traffic condition as well.
|Plan your touring day |
Bangkok is the center fo cultural and commercial tourism. It would be regrettable if you see just one side and have on chance to see the other different side of Bangkok. The early morning is the best time to enjoy seeing ancient places because the weather is not getting hot yet and people are not too crowded. The best cultural tourist destination which is worth your time most is in Koh Rattanakosin area. It' s the old area since Bangkok was founded more then two hunderd yeare ago. Here you can see fortress and city wall, such as Phra Sumeru Fortress. located on the corner where Phra Arthit Road and Phar Sumeru meet. Now it has been renovated and the surrounding landscape has been improved to be a community park called "Sentichaiprakarn Park" , there are places for sitting and seeing Chao Phraya River view, the atmosphere is very romantic. Besides the rarely leftover fortress and city wall , the places which are considered as main parts are The Grand Palace, Wat Phra Kaew , Thailand National Museum abd many important temples in surrounding area.
There is Buddhist's belief in Thailand that if you could go to worship Buddha image in 9 temples within one day you will be very lucky and your wish will come true, so the people often go to worship Buddha images in Koh Rattanakosin area because they are not far away from each other and some temples can be reacher by walking from other one. But just one day for touring Bangkok you will not have enough time to walk around and see all 9 temples, so I will introduce you only t he important temples you should not miss.
-The Grand Palace and Wat Phra Sri Rattana Satsadaram (Wat Phra Kaew), the site where Emarald Buddha, the national Buddhist image of Thailand is housed. You can touce the aura of old calture of Thailand here, need not to have any Time Machine to travel back to more than two hunderd years ago to see the center of Bangkok, just visit this place and you will realize and touch the old at mosphere of Thailand because this place is well-preserved and still used for royal ceremony exactly the same as in the past.
- Wat Phra Chetuphon Wimon Mang Khalaram Rajwaramahaviharn (Wat Pho). This temple is located near Wat Phra Kaew and knows as the first university of Thailand because in the old days when Thai society had no book publishing, the temples, there fore, were like the center of transferring knowledge to people. Later texts are collected and selected to inscibe on pieces of stone around this temple to spread knowledge to Thai people in that time. It's also houses the reclining Buddha image (Phra Non Wat Pho)which is beautiful and gerat you almost hold your breath when saw it.
- Wat Arunratchawararam Ratchaworamahavihara (Wat Arun). The pagoda of Wat Arun near Chao Phraya River bank is one of Bangkok symbols which is well known worldwide.
Apart from these ancient places, Koh Rattanakosin is also the center of old communities that some still preserve their way of life and make a living the same as it ever was more than two hundred years, such as Wat Theptidaram community has a group of people make Buddhist alms-bowls by hands. Tha Tien community , located near Wat Phra Kaew next to Chao Phraya River, here is used to be the old port since Chinese junk trade with Siam in Ayudya time. It has been commercial communitty from the past and most of people here are descendants of Chinese merchants who sailed their junks for trading. If you walk backwards a little bit, you will find Tha Phrachan community. This area has many kinds of food waiting for you to choose during the tour. Nearby is Phra Arthit Road, the important community growing together with city building. It's the administrative and art & culture center and the road follews the edge of Chao Phraya River.The prosperity of Phar Arthit Road community has tied consistently to Bangkok history until nowadays.Building royal residence as brick building started during the reign of King Rama III, influences are modified to be offices and modern buildings and the way of life in those communities are completely changed as well.
Next to Phar Arthin Road you will find Khao San Road, a hottest hit tourist attraction in Bangkok , the center of rooms for staying, hotels, guesthouses and colorful night-time tourist attractions. Not far away from Khao San Road you will find Ratchadumnoen Road sandwiched by glowing yellow buildings. It's a historic road which crocess and meets many roads in that area. King Rama V had ordered the construction of this road in BE 2442 for the grandeur of the country and for people walking around to relax ,it's model is Champs Elysee' in France. Now it's time to move to see another side of Bangkok.
|Bangkok the heaven of shoppers |
One of essential parts of touring Bangkok is shopping. Most of department stores open around 10.30 am. and it would be bustling from afternoon until the closing time at 10.00 pm. If walking around in the store makes you feel boring, Bangkok has market fairs both outdoor and indoor to meet you demand as well. The shopping places you should not miss even though you have only 1 day are;
- Siam the center of department stores. If you have come to this area, you need not to wander for shopping anywhere in Bangkok because this is the center of nationanl first-class shopping malls, such as Maboonkrong , Siam Paragon ,Siam Discover Center and Central Workd Plaza. A trip is convenient by BTS Sky Train. Here you cac buy everything from a package of toothpicks to a car.
- Siam Square area (open every day). Location opposite to Siam Center and Siam Paragon, this place is the center of Thai teenage right now, you will know by walking around here. There are shops lining up orderly on both sides and there are brand name products, bags, sundries, clothes, CD and DVD shops.
- Suan Chatuchak Weekend Market (open onky on Saturday and Sunday). Outdoor market fair which is said to be the biggest in the world, contains more than 8000 vender's booth. It's the center of goods from around the country , such as basketwork, local product, ornaments, clothes, footware, bags and pets. It's not easy to walk and shop everything in this market within one day. But if you want to touch its atmosphere and walk around for a few hours, it would be all right.
- Wang Lang Market (open every day)located opposite to Siriraj Hospital. You can reach there by taking a ferry from Tha Phrachan pier near Wat Phrakaew.Wang Lang is the marketplacd where many secondhand products in good shape and sold.
|What and where to eat |
There are countiess places for you meais in Bangkok, from a luxurious restaurant to pushcart vendor's food on streets, depending on what kind of food you want to taste. Most of well-known restaurants in Bangkok open their sub-branches in department stores. These are good choices if you want convenience and readiness.However . delicious foods tend to be in communities,such as Sam Yan , Din Daeng, Yaowarat and Sukhunvit community . I would like to introduce you a few hottest restaurants in tourist area.
- Rachadumnoen Road. I introduce Ran Phat Thai Sen Chan Thipsamai at Pratu Pi. Recommended menu is Sen Chan Mun Kung Ho Khia Phiset (Thai-style stir fried noodles wrapped in omelet).Treveling to this place is not diffcult. If you are from Lan Luang Road, you just cross Phan Fa bridge to a left-side fortress and then you will see an intersection , turn left around 100 meters distance, the restaurant is on the left side.
- Suan Luang community, location in Suan Luagn Chyla market , Ran Cheng Sim E is here, selling hot and cold dessert. It's aslo located in Maboonkrong area.If you come from Rama IV Road, turn into Banthat Thogn Road, then turn right at Saphan On intersection to the first intersection and turn left to the first block, the restaurant is on the left side, selling Nam Khaeng Sai (Dessert with crushed ice on top). Recommended menu is Thub Thim Krop Ma Phrao Kathi.
- Yaowarat community, the center of Chiness restaurants, noodles, and many Chinese egg noodles. I introduce Ran Khao Tom Pla (selling boiled rice with fish). Getting there is not difficult , from Yaowarat Road, when you passed many gold stores and found an intersection, turn left to Ratchawong, the restaurant is on the left. Besides there is Guay Jub Talad Kao, Thick noodles soup selling on vendor's pushcart at nigth in Talad Kao area on Yaowarat Road. There are many kinds of foods selling here at night. mostly Chinese foods.
Bangkok never sleep though the sun had already set. If you still habe enough time and energy, wandering nigthtime , seeing lively colors of Bangkok should be a pleasurable choice more than lying in a hotel room and watch TV. Nighttimes tourist attractions are mostly clustered in some areas and not far away from each other. To get there is convenient by BTS Sky Train and MRT subway. Let's try to find where the top hit nighttime areas in Bangkok locate.
- Sukhumvit, the site where fashionable things and modern style of Bangkokers are added up, the center of national first-class pubs, bars and places for dancing.
- Ploenchit and Chidlom , the center of high-class offices, wealthy people , pubs and bars. The food here focused on chic and stylish looking abd quite expensive.
- Silom , nighttime at Silom is always full of people and colorful light from many pubs, bars and restaurants lining up along both sides, the center of souvenirs such as clothes, watches of even DVD. Phat Phong, the well-known nigthtime tourist area is here too.
- Ratchadaphisek and RCA, the center of teenage hottest-hit pubs, bars and restaurants, the feeling of music and atmosphere is more focused on teenage than in Sukhumvit and Silom.
- Khao San Road ,you can buy things and sip beer during you walk on this road, Pubs , bars and restaurants line up crowdedly on both sides, It's a special nighttime tour because even you did not sit in a pab or a bar, just sat down on a roadside, sipped canned beer, watched people moviing around and absorbed nighttime atmosphere of Khoa San Road deeply, you will find the experience you could not find anywhere in the world.
It would be exaggerated if I said that visiting Bangkok is equal to knowing the whole country of Thailand. However , just a short time you spent on this city had gave you more than you think. Bangkok may be looked not different from the capitals of all countries in the world, disorderly and chaotically, but if you come to touch and get to know even in a very short time, perhaps in a quarter of your slight memory you may fall in love with this sleepless capital unexpectedly, who knows ?
Last Updated on Saturday, 17 January 2009 17:28